Here are some travel ideas for diverse day trips and weekend getaways from Atlanta,GA.
1) Athens is small hip college town just a short trip from Atlanta. It is about hour and half drive from north of Atlanta off of Hwy 10. It has many mom-n-pop owned unique coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. Temperatures are also much cooler than Atlanta. Things To Do: College Town Austin,TX
2) The Little White House of President Roosevelt at Warm Springs is a quick side trip from Atlanta. It is a Excellent Historic Attraction. Here you can visit FDR Memorial Museum which has FDR's personal belongings and it also runs a short film about him. Guided tour is also available. There are some Picnic sites also at this location. It is a must do for people interested in history.
401 Little White House Road
Warm Springs, GA 31830-2157
3) Providence Canyon State Park is great for day hike with kids. Hiking along the stream and nice picnic areas in the park make it a awesome day trip. There are picnic shelters as well as campsites avaiable here. Non-expensive lodges are also available nearby for overnight stay.
Omaha, GA 31821
4) Chattanooga, Tennessee is a weekend getaway for people looking for a scenic trip to beautiful country side. Chattanooga boasts lot of natural wonders. You can take a car drive, bike or just hike and explore by foot. Some of the must to do things here is to explore the lookout mountain, visit Ruby Falls and take a trip on Lookout Mountain Railway. You can also visit Tennessee Valley Roadway Rail Museum and take the rail trip through beautiful country side.
Chattanooga Visitor Center
215 Broad Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
5) Cumberland Island National Sea Shore is a great isolated natural area. There are very beautiful and non-crowded beaches here. It is great for camping or day trip. Outdoor activities like Boating,fishing, hunting etc are also available here.
6) There are many beautiful Mountain Towns in Georgia only a short drive from Atlanta. Dahlonega, Roswell ,Asheville are some of those. They are anywhere from 30 minutes to two hour drive from Atlanta. They are great for a day trip or a weekend gateway. They are nice lodges and Inn available for overnight stay. Many of these towns have unique history and nice restaurants. There are scenic drives through these towns and beautiful waterfalls to enjoy. You can fine more information from Atlanta Visitor Center located at:
233 Peachtree Street, NE Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30303
7) Helen is another one tank trip from Atlanta. In less than 2 hours drive from Atlanta, this charming town will give you experience of a small European town. Helen is called Little Germany of Georgia. It is developed as a Alpine village with European Style architecture in mind. Wide variety of Motels and Cabins are available for lodging. Wide variety of international restaurants and wineries makes the trip unforgettable.